Hemorrhoids in Hattiesburg, MS
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What are hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids, sometimes referred to as piles, are swollen veins near the lower anus or rectum. The problem typically occurs in the event that the walls of the veins in the anus or rectum become so thin that the veins protrude or bulge. Piles can manifest internally (within the rectum) or externally (on the anus).
Hemorrhoids are quite common. As a matter of fact, approximately three out of four adults will have piles at some point in their lives. In some cases, a blood clot will develop within a hemorrhoid (known as a thrombosed hemorrhoid) and may cause discomfort or pain. The board-certified GI doctors at Hattiesburg GI Associates, PLLC are experts in treating this common condition as well as other gastrointestinal (GI) problems. To find care for hemorrhoids in Hattiesburg, MS, please contact our team as soon as possible.
What are the causes of hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids may be attributed to a wide array of things. Reasons a hemorrhoid might occur can include:
- Ongoing diarrhea
- Chronic constipation
- Excessive strain during bowel movements
- The natural aging process
- Sitting or standing for long periods of time
- Family history of hemorrhoids
- Being overweight
- Straining too hard to perform a physical activity (like lifting weights)
What are some symptoms of hemorrhoids?
Presentation of piles can be varied because of the area affected by the hemorrhoids, but commonly includes:
- Pain during bowel movements
- Purple, pink, or blue raised lesions that protrude around the anus
- Itching around one's anus
- Pain and/or swelling near the anus
- Bright red blood in one's stool
- Discomfort surrounding the anus while performing physical activities
What are the treatments for hemorrhoids?
Minor hemorrhoids will often resolve on their own after a few days. Your Hattiesburg GI Associates, PLLC provider could choose to prescribe pharmaceutical drugs or suggest home remedies to alleviate the bothersome symptoms of hemorrhoids. When a larger problem is present, however, medical intervention is available for hemorrhoids in Hattiesburg, MS and could be required to excise or address the hemorrhoid. Common hemorrhoid treatment includes:
- Rubber band ligation
- Treatment of constipation or the cause of the hemorrhoids
- Applying topical cream
- Maintaining a clean anal region
- Tub baths multiple times daily in warm water
- Draining a clot (thrombosis)
- Avoiding dry toilet paper
- Ice packs to reduce anal inflammation
- A high-fiber diet
Timely treatment for hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids most often don't progress to serious health problems, but they can still be irritating and wreak havoc on your quality of life. If you find yourself in need of assistance with hemorrhoid treatment in Hattiesburg, MS, our physicians are trained to assist. We urge you to reach out to Hattiesburg GI Associates, PLLC to schedule a consultation with a local gastroenterology provider.
Excellent care and positive experience
I was very pleased with my experience with Dr. Farmer.
I highly recommend Dr. Farmer.. He is very gentle, understanding, and has a awesome staff..
Great visit. Answered all my questions. Highly recommend.
Dr.Farmer and his nurse Shay was very professional and very nice