Gallbladder Disorders in Hattiesburg, MS
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What kind of disorders can form in the gallbladder?
The gallbladder is a digestive organ that exists to contain and release bile, which your body uses to break down the fats you consume. There are numerous ailments that can adversely impact the gallbladder. These disorders include:
- Gallstones – These are hard, crystalline bile deposits that have the potential to block certain digestive functions, causing more severe problems
- Cholecystitis – Swelling in the gallbladder that often occurs when gallstones form. As this disease progresses, the gallbladder may shrivel and stop releasing bile.
- Biliary dyskinesia – When the gallbladder is not performing at optimal levels
- Sclerosing cholangitis – Persistent swelling and injury in the organ that can eventually lead to scarring in the bile duct system
- Choledocholithiasis – Can develop when a gallstone creates a blockage in one of the bile ducts, leading to inflammation and discomfort
- Acalculous gallbladder disease – Refers to inflammation in the gallbladder that presents without the formation of gallstones
If you have been diagnosed with or believe you may have any of the conditions listed above, please reach out to our gastrointestinal specialists at Hattiesburg GI Associates, PLLC. Our providers routinely treat individuals suffering from gallbladder disorders in Hattiesburg, MS. Request a consultation today.
What are some common causes of gallbladder disorders?
The majority of problems in the gallbladder are brought on by the formation of gallstones in the organ. These hard deposits can vary in size and number depending on the patient. Gallstones typically result when the body has more cholesterol (and other substances) than it's able to break down, causing those substances to clot and form crystals. Gallbladder disorders may also be triggered by other factors, including infection, a problem with the blood vessels, and tumors creating blockages that prevent bile from draining. If you're suffering from health issues associated with your gallbladder, get in touch with the board-certified gastroenterologists at Hattiesburg GI Associates, PLLC to discuss diagnostic procedures and treatment options.
How do gallbladder disorders present?
The most common symptoms associated with gallbladder disorders include:
- Throwing up
- Tenderness in the abdomen
- Severe pain in the abdomen, particularly in the center or upper-right portions
- Pain that stretches to the back and right shoulder
If you're living with any of these uncomfortable symptoms, call a local GI specialist to discuss gallbladder diseases in Hattiesburg, MS.
How are gallbladder disorders treated?
If you want to lower your risk of developing a gallbladder disorder, the best place to start is by taking steps to avoid getting gallstones. This can be accomplished by staying active and maintaining a healthy weight (or losing weight slowly, if necessary). Usually, our GI physicians at Hattiesburg GI Associates, PLLC are able to diagnose gallbladder disorders using a basic ultrasound procedure, but your provider may recommend a more advanced imaging test such as an MRI or CT scan. Treatment protocols for gallbladder disease often include:
- Pain relievers
- Antibiotic medication
- Medications that dissolve gallstones
- Fasting (to allow your gallbladder to rest and recover)
- In some cases, surgery to remove the gallbladder (cholecystectomy)
Speak to your gastroenterologist in Hattiesburg, MS to determine the best course of action for your condition.
Innovative treatment for gallbladder disorders
With the care of a skilled GI physician, gallbladder disorders like gallstones, biliary dyskinesia, and cholecystitis are all detectable and treatable. If you're suffering from symptoms related to your gallbladder or any other part of your GI tract, contact your nearest Hattiesburg GI Associates, PLLC location today to request a consultation. Our providers are highly experienced when it comes to treating patients suffering from gallbladder disorders in Hattiesburg, MS.
Explains everything very well and did not feel rushed.
I have had a great experience with Hattiesburg GI Associates, especially with Susan Wallace the NP
Great visit. Answered all my questions. Highly recommend.
Dr. Farmer is the Best GI specialist in south Mississippi. This a doctor that really understands patient care. Highest quality of service that I have ever received.
I was very pleased with my experience with Dr. Farmer.