Colitis in Hattiesburg, MS
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is colitis?
Colitis is an issue that refers to the general swelling of the mucosal lining of the intestinal tract. Though ulcerative colitis is often known as colitis, they are two different conditions. There are multiple types of colitis that can cause swelling in the digestive tract in addition to other unique symptoms. A few common forms of colitis include:
- Ulcerative colitis (IBD colitis): Causes discomfort and swelling of the colon
- Ischemic (ischaemic) colitis: A consequence of poor blood flow
- Infectious colitis (food poisoning): Due to consumption of contaminated food or drinks
- Microscopic colitis: Results in frequent watery stool
The expert specialists at Hattiesburg GI Associates, PLLC can address different types of colitis as well as other GI ailments. If you want to get help for colitis in Hattiesburg, MS or to learn about your therapy choices, we invite you to request a consultation at a Hattiesburg, MS location in your area today.
What can cause colitis?
There are numerous reasons why the inside tissue layer of the large bowel could be swollen. Some of the most common causes include:
- Diminished blood circulation to the large bowel (ischemia)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Particular nonprescription and prescription medicines (common medications leading to colitis include NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and mycophenolate
- Attack of the intestinal lining with collagen or white blood cells
- Allergic reactions
- Crohn’s disease
- Infection (from parasites invading the colon)
Whatever the cause of your colitis, you will be able to speak with a specialist at Hattiesburg GI Associates, PLLC who is equipped to treat your illness.
What are the symptoms of colitis?
Possible symptoms of colitis are:
- Sores in the mouth
- Rise in body temperature and/or chilling (indicators of infection)
- Blood in bowel movements
- Out-of-the-ordinary bowel habits (such as the constant need to eliminate waste)
- Joint pain or pain in the abdomen (colon) that may be persistent
- Sores on the large intestine
- Loose, watery stool (with or without blood in the stool)
- Abdominal tenderness
- Red, inflamed eyes
- Rapid weight loss
If you are displaying any of the above symptoms regularly, we encourage you to contact us and obtain assistance from one of our Hattiesburg, MS digestive providers.
What are some treatments for colitis?
Regular treatments used for all types of colitis often consist of:
- Normalizing essential body functions
- Pain-relieving medications
- Modifying your diet
- Popular inflammatory bowel disease medications
- Rehydration of the body (by mouth or through an IV)
According to the cause of the colitis, treatment options might vary.
- Infections: When bacteria is the cause of infection, then antibiotics can be the best course of treatment. When the problem is caused by a virus, then hydrating the body and letting time pass would be the recommended approaches to address the colitis.
- Microscopic colitis: In specific instances, the body is capable of healing itself. It might alternatively be addressed with anti-diarrheal medication and some steroids, adjustment of dietary intake, and rarely, surgical procedures.
- Inflammatory bowel disease: When the source of the inflammation comes as a result of Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, then anti-inflammatory medications may be advised at first and medications that suppress the immune system might be required. A surgical procedure could be required depending on the stage of the colitis.
- Ischemic colitis: The normal treatment for ischemic colitis is to add fluids to the body using IV fluids and only consume clear liquids. If blood flow is not restored to the colon, then surgery could be required to remove those parts of the large bowel that lost blood flow.
Contact us todayFind A Provider Find A Location
Finding expert care for your colitis
The symptoms of colitis can be uncomfortable and it is important to find a caring provider that you can trust. At Hattiesburg GI Associates, PLLC, our focus is on the comfort and care of our patients. Our skilled team of GI specialists in Hattiesburg, MS has a variety of treatment options available to relieve your colitis symptoms and are eager to help get you on the road to better GI health. Contact us today to request a consultation with our dedicated team of professionals so that you can get the individualized care you deserve.
The people were openly friendly are very informed and gave of themselves to answer my questions and take care of my concerns
Really knowledgeable and very nice staff. Dr. Sanchez was awesome. Didn’t talk down or seem condescending like so many drs. Do
We love Dr. Sanchez. He takes the time to understsnd and really cares.
Dr Farmer is a very good doctor . He was very thorough making sure all medical history was checked and then followed by the acute/chronic symptoms I’m having. He also made sure to follow up with me afterwards. I have already recommended people to him!
Dr. Farmer, his staff and facility are beyond great! They really care and take great care of you.